Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 1: Breakfast

Ok for the first recipe we'll start with something simple and made from scratch,  pancakes.  When I first started out I was the queen of quick if there was a short cut to be taken I'd take it, but I can tell you from experience quick is not always better.  Shortcuts are helpful though and I still use some form time to time, but since learning this recipe I have never cheated at pancake making.  Most people know that when you make pancakes you often have to scrap the first one.  I've never scrapped a single pancake since using this recipe. These pancakes are way better than any store bought mix or frozen pancakes I've ever had and the best part is that they are easy to make and once you've mastered the basic recipe you can throw in a twist or two.  I am famous for my decadent pancakes.  I add cranberries, almonds, and white chocolate to the mix.  Sometimes we go with blueberries. Sometimes we keep it plain or just put the fruit on top either way they always turn out delicious.  Serve them up with bacon or sausage and some eggs however you like them. At our house we try to have some type of fruit with breakfast and lunch as well.  It's a healthy habit to instill and my husband loves fruit with his breakfast.

PANCAKES


INGREDIENTS: 

  • 1 EGG
  • 1 CUP OF MILK
  • 1/2 TSP. VANILLA EXTRACT
  • 2 TSP.  BAKING POWDER
  • 1/2 TSP. SALT
  • 1 CUP OF FLOUR
DIRECTIONS:
  1. BEAT EGG, MILK, AND VANILLA TOGETHER.
  2. COMBINE REMAINING INGREDIENTS AND STIR INTO THE PREVIOUS MIXTURE.  STIR JUST UNTIL SOMEWHAT SMOOTH BUT SLIGHTLY LUMPY.  DO NOT OVER MIX.
  3. POUR A LITTLE BATTER ONTO A HOT GRIDDLE OR LARGE HOT SKILLET SPRAYED WITH PAN SPRAY LEAVING AT LEAST 2" OF SPACE BETWEEN PANCAKES.  
  4. ALLOW THEM TO COOK UNTIL THE TOPS OF THE PANCAKES A BUBBLING THEN TURN THEM OVER WITH A SPATULA.  
  5. COOK JUST UNTIL THE UNDERSIDE IS LIGHTLY BROWNED.
**once you've mastered this recipe try changing it up by using different extract and fruit combinations**

No comments:

Post a Comment